A new survey in Yerevan and across the regions of Armenia has found that most of the country’s population approves of Crimea’s return to Russia as a result of a recent referendum.
The polls, conducted by Gallup International Association from April 8 to 18, attracted 1,067 respondents, Aram Navasardyan, the organization’s ountry director, told a news conference on Wednesday.
“The first question was whether the respondents had heard of the revolution in Ukraine; 92 percent responded ‘yes’, and the other 8 percent said ‘no’,” he said, introducing the results.
Navasardyan said some 77% of those surveyed had negatively treated the bloodshed in Kiev. As for the general attitude to the Crimea referendum, the pollster noted that most of the respondents – 76% – found Russia’s move positive, with only 12% giving a negative answer.
Navasardyan said further that 70% of the respondents found Crimea’s decision to gain independence from Ukraine positive.
Asked about the opinions about recognizing Crimea, the pollster said 73% had found such a move important.